SOLDIERS MEMORIAL COMMISSION MEETING
Minutes – Thursday, May 21, 2009
City Hall, Room 200 2pm
Present Commission Members: Jim Garavaglia (Comptroller Green), Jim Sondermann (Mayor’s Office), Col. Corinne Bardgett (ROA), Tim Embree (Acting Superintendent, Soldiers Memorial),
Tom Gilmore (Korean War Vets), Col. Judith Hanses (American Legion), Vacant Position for Purple Heart recipient
Absent Commission Members: Ald. Greg Carter (BOA), Charles Bryson (Public Safety), Larry Endicott (Disabled American Veterans), Rory Roundtree (Ald. President Reed),
Other Attendants: Lynnea Magnuson (Soldiers Memorial), Drew Heffner (City Counselor’s Office), Anika Roy (Soldiers Memorial)
Minutes: Anika Roy
Call to Order: Jim Sondermann
Pledge of Allegiance: led by Dr. Lynnea Magnuson
Discussion: In accordance with agenda
APPROVAL OF MINUTES:
- Minutes were reviewed but could not be approved as there was no quorum. Tim Embree mentioned that the spelling of Tim Irwin was incorrect in the minutes from the last meeting.
ACTION ITEMS FOLLOW-UP:
- Lynnea talked to Marjorie regarding the RFP for electrical work. Lynnea was told that Jim S. should follow up Joe Kuss regarding the RFP.
- Tim: Jim S. and I talked to Washington University about the internship program about providing support to this board. This idea is will be more feasible some time next year.
- Drew reported that Stolar Partnership ready to go with the paperwork; they just need the three names for the Executive Board and a check for $1000.00 in order to get the paperwork filed with the state.
- Tim: the JCVA transportation issues that Larry Endicott brought up in last meeting have been resolved.
“FRIENDS OF” SOLDIERS MEMORIAL UPDATE:
- The three names for the Executive Board are as follows: Tom Irwin, Tim Noonan, Kim Tucci
- Tim: The first meeting was held at Soldiers Memorial between, Mr. Irwin, Mr. Noonan, Mr. Tucci, Lynnea and Tim. Their primary focus is fundraising. They would also like to Stan Musial serve as an honorary chairman to the organization. They will develop a fundraising letter to go out to their individual lists of associates in an effort to raise money; Mr. Tucci is currently working on a draft and will have it to Tim by next week. They would the letter to go out by late July. Once the money is in, they would like to focus on two priorities: the Capital Improvement Plan items and retaining a professional fundraiser. The fundraising efforts will be region-wide.
- The Mayor would like to invite Jack Taylor to serve as an honorary chairman as well.
- Jim S. suggested that the commission create a beautification ‘wish list’ for Soldiers. Tim stated that Tom Irwin is interested in pavers, mimicking those at Busch Stadium, for the patio areas of the memorial.
- Tim will have an update on the fundraising letter at the next commission meeting
- Lynnea mentioned that Rick Ernst has more detailed information on the Capital Improvement Plan items, if the Executive Board is interested in reviewing them.
SOLDIERS MEMORIAL EVENTS/UPDATES:
- Anika to email the Calendar of Events to the commission
- Tim and Lynnea discussed the 5 mile run taking place the morning of the Veteran’s Day Parade.
- Lynnea: Welcome Home Event and presented the commission with the flyer and form that needs to be completed in order to be recognized at the event.
- Lynnea mentioned that she is working on a special exhibit for the Welcome Home event.
- Lynnea discussed with the commission about the Feasibility Study done by a group of business students from Fontbonne University under the direction of Mark Alexander. Lynnea is interested in working with this group in the future, perhaps with grant-writing. She handed out copies of the study to the commission.
- Lynnea discussed that she met with Shirley Boling and Melissa Hicks of the Daughters of the American Revolution. They would like to construct a historical/commemorative marker for Soldiers Memorial and also help Soldiers Memorial with applying for Historical Landmark status.
- Lynnea informed the commission that the display cases in the museum galleries are cleaned and properly lighted
- Lynnea: Lambert Airport has selected Soldiers Memorial to be featured in exhibit opportunity, in time for the All Star Games. Lynnea has decided to display military uniforms for this exhibit.
- Lynnea: there are now two US flags on the two front pillars of the memorial. The idea is to have all 14 pillars in front to have US flags hung from them.
- Jim asked about a POW MIA flag to be flown permanently at Soldiers Memorial. Anika responded that Soldiers is looking into getting POW/MIA flags donated to the memorial.
- Tim suggested that POW/MIA flags are to go under the US flags of both sides of the memorial and to remain for 6-8 months, waiting a few months before replacing them.
- Jim asked about Welcome Home’s involvement in the Veteran’s Day parade; can the two events be somehow connected? Tim responded that Welcome Home is VA funded and they would like for it to be separate. Lynnea said that Welcome Home has events both in May and again in November and that the VA wants more involvement with Veteran’s Day Parade.
REPORT FROM VETERANS COMMUNITY AND MILITARY–SOLDIERS MEMORIAL COMMISSIONERS:
- Judith Hanses discussed the Massing of the Colors performance she would like to have at Soldiers Memorial; she spoke with Sgt. Williams and he thinks it would be better held at a stadium. Col. Hanses will follow up with Sgt. Williams about the requirements and is proposing to have the performance take place on Flag Day of next year (June 14th). Lynnea responded that there is an annual Flag Retirement Ceremony on that day. Col. Hanses suggested that the Massing can take place after the Flag Retirement Ceremony and she will get more information and talk with Ann Chance and get back to Lynnea.
ACTION ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING:
- Jim S. to follow up with Joe Kuss concerning the RFP for the electrical work at Soldiers
- Tim to follow up with the Montford Point Marines regarding the vacancy position on the SMMM Commission
- Col. Hanses to let Lynnea know more information regarding the Massing of the Colors performance
- Anika to email Commission with the Calendar of Events
- Lynnea/Anika to work on getting the POW/MIA flags flown permanently at Soldiers Memorial
- Col. Hanses to send Soldiers a list of contacts
NEXT COMMISSION MEETING: July 16, 2009 at 3pm Soldiers Memorial, Room 204-205